sharing documents: in praise of PDF

Timothy Lubin LubinT at WLU.EDU
Fri Jan 11 17:25:52 UTC 2002

Well, since you ask...
I am a dedicated WordPerfect user who, back in the days of WP5.1
devised a set of overstrike macros to create letters with overdots and
underdots without using a special font.  Despite the wealth of fonts
available today, I have (foolishly?) continued to use this system in
WP7/8, waiting for the day when all Indologists use Unicode based fonts
and I can change over without worrying about portability and conversion
problems.

The PROBLEM is that these overstrike-characters drop out completely
when the document is converted to Word or any other program.  Also, they
seem to be preventing Adobe Acrobat from successfully creating a PDF out
of my WP8 files.  Any time I have tried to run the conversion, it has
failed.  Now I am stuck, because WP's search and replace function cannot
deal with overstrikes individually.  (I cannot speak to how PDF
conversion works from the older WP versions.)

Timothy Lubin
Assistant Professor (Religions of South Asia)
23 Newcomb Hall
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450  USA

office: 540.463.8146; fax: 540.463.8498
lubint at wlu.edu   |   http://home.wlu.edu/~lubint

>>> hanneder at INDOLOGIE.UNI-HALLE.DE 01/11/02 09:48AM >>>
I would fully support the praise of PDF. . . . And since you are
mentioning WordPerfect, which
expecially in its antique versions is fairly wide spread among
Sanskritists, I wonder whether it is as simple for them to produce
pdf-documents.