sharing documents: in praise of PDF

Frits Staal jfstaal at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Jan 11 18:56:29 UTC 2002

I have WordPerfect which I prefer for longer texts and had some trouble
with WORD which seems to be primarily made for business correspondence.
Using some other then popular system, I had many problems sending
attachments (which I now open very rarely in any case). It invaded other
parts of my system and wanted me to do things in a different way. I
wouldn't even think of touching PDF unless I knew it was very easy for me
and my system and had no imperialistic leanings.

PDF. At 03:48 PM 1/11/02 +0100, you wrote:
>I would fully support the praise of PDF. For sending out documents as
>well as for homepages this seems at the moment the best
>solution. Since I use TeX, on my system the documents are transformed
>within seconds by typing ps2pdf x.ps y.pdf, but for others this may
>not be as simple. And since you are mentioning WordPerfect, which
>expecially in its antique versions is fairly wide spread among
>Sanskritists, I wonder whether it is as simple for them to produce
>pdf-documents.
>In fact it would be quite helpful to point out if and how this works
>with older WP-versions!
>
>Greetings
>
>Juergen
>

>Dr Juergen Hanneder
>
>hanneder at indologie.uni-halle.de
>
>office:                          private:
>
>Martin-Luther-Universitaet       William-Shakespeare-Str.3
>Institut fuer Indologie          99423 Weimar
>Emil-Abderhalden-Str.9           Tel 03643-904284
>D-06099 Halle (Saale)            Fax 03643-904285

Frits Staal

http://philosophy.berkeley.edu/staal