Sanskrit Knowledge Systems on the Eve of Colonialism

George Thompson GthomGt at CS.COM
Mon Feb 11 00:32:24 UTC 2002

A brief, tardy, addendum to Jan Houben's response to George Hart's objections
to the notion of Sanskrit knowledge systems:

In fact, there are at least a few Classicists who would accept, if not quite
approve of, the term "Latin Knowledge Systems."  Admittedly, Classicists are
generally more comfortable with traditional terms like "epistemology," but
some readily recognize that a term like "Sanskrit knowledge systems"  refers,
by synecdoche, not to a language, strictly speaking, but to a linguistic
community. If we can talk about a Sanskrit poetics, why not Sanskrit
knowledge systems?

I think that classical languages like Latin and Sanskrit [and Tamil!] are
nicely suited to the task of converying traditional knowledge systems.  In
fact, I cannot think of another thing that classical languages actually do.
In this sense, they are not at all like natural languages.

Like others, I fail to see how a colloquium on Sanskrit knowledge systems
necessarily "assumes that all important and significant works in India during
the period under consideration were written in Sanskrit."

Anyway, George, it is encouraging to see that you continue to carry on the
good fight for Tamil, after all these years.

Best,

George Thompson