Yamagita in Nepal

Mahes Raj Pant mahesrajpant at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 19 08:01:33 UTC 2002

The quotation of the manuscript, as given by Allen Thraser, clearly shows
that it contains a bilingual text. To be specific, the original text in
Sanskrit is followed by a translation-type commentary in the Nepali
language. Judging from the Nepali language itself the manuscript cannot be
so old. We may fix it not around 1775 rather one century later.

Yamagiitaa is a quite popular text among Nepali Hindus. I have noticed some
people still recite the text every morning in their prayer rooms. There are
a lot of microfilms of Yamagiitaa manuscipts accompanied by Nepali-language
translation in the collection of the Nepal-German Manuscript Preservation
Project.

  Mahes Raj Pant