Manu

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Apr 16 00:07:30 UTC 2002

My humble opinion:

- two volumes, text in one, translation in the other.

Or:

- text on one page, translation on the adjacent page (a nightmare in terms
of layouting unless you have omnipotent software!).

Having half the text/translation in one and the second half in the other is
inconvenient, as the reader would have to constantly go back and forth in
one and the same book. I suppose publishing text and translation in
separate volumes is the most convenient solution for the reader, and also
the most convenient solution in terms of doing the layout.

> At 02:37  15/04/02 -0500, Patrick Olivelle wrote:
>> Friends:
>>
>> This is an unusual request, but since an edition is intended to be
>> USEFUL to the readers, I thought I would canvas your opinions.
>>
>> As many of you know, I am in the final stages of preparing the
>> critical edition of the Manava Dharmasastra. The question is whether
>> to publish it in a single but large volume, or to divide it into two
>> volumes. I have to resolve this in the next month or two, because the
>> placing of the notes will be determined by this decision. The
>> edition, translation, critical apparatus, notes, indices, etc will
>> run to approximately 1200 pages. I have been told that it is
>> technically possible to produce a volume with that many pages.
>>
>> If it is divided into two volumes, one will contain the text and the
>> other the translation, with the rest divided between the two.
>>
>> The question is whether two volumes or a single volume would serve
>> the reader best. I would very much appreciate your thoughts and your
>> vote. Thanks.
>>
>> Patrick

Best regards,

Birgit Kellner
Institute for South Asian, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies
Vienna University