Manu

Patrick Olivelle jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Apr 15 19:37:11 UTC 2002

Friends:

This is an unusual request, but since an edition is intended to be
USEFUL to the readers, I thought I would canvas your opinions.

As many of you know, I am in the final stages of preparing the
critical edition of the Manava Dharmasastra. The question is whether
to publish it in a single but large volume, or to divide it into two
volumes. I have to resolve this in the next month or two, because the
placing of the notes will be determined by this decision. The
edition, translation, critical apparatus, notes, indices, etc will
run to approximately 1200 pages. I have been told that it is
technically possible to produce a volume with that many pages.

If it is divided into two volumes, one will contain the text and the
other the translation, with the rest divided between the two.

The question is whether two volumes or a single volume would serve
the reader best. I would very much appreciate your thoughts and your
vote. Thanks.

Patrick