zariira

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Wed Apr 10 19:15:32 UTC 2002

Traditionally the word zariira is derived from the root zRR (which is
listed in the sense of hi.msana "injure", z.r.naati, past pple ziir.na) by
adding an affix  -iiran, cf. the U.naadisuutra 4.30:
kRR-zRR-pRR-ka.ti-pa.ti-zau.ti-bhya.h iiran.  The fact that this is
accounted for by the U.naadisuutra also means that Panini himself
considered this word as an underived nominal.  Yaaska's Nirukta (2.16) also
derives zariira the same way: zariiram z.r.naate.h

                                                Madhav Deshpande

--On Wednesday, April 10, 2002 12:24 PM -0400 Jonathan Silk