D. R. Regmi

Enrica Garzilli garzilli at SHORE.NET
Wed Sep 5 11:03:27 UTC 2001

Dear Colleagues,

I am very sorry to inform you that the famous Nepali historian, and
fighter for India and Nepal democracy Dr. Dilli R. Regmi (b. 1913) died
last week, after a long illness.
He died in a clinic in Kathmandu, his body was taken to his residence
for one night and the funeral was next day on the banks of Bagmati River
near Pashupati temple.

He was PhD in Economics at Patna University, in Literature at the UN. of
Madras, and was awarded Honorary Doctor in Science at the Un. of Moscow.

He was a good friend of Rahul Sankrityayan and many of the most eminent
politicians and scholars of his time.
He was the first Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs of democratic
Nepal.

He wrote books on ancient and modern history of Nepal and on Nepali
inscriptions, and several articles.

In 1997, the President of India K. R. Narayan congratulated him for his
85th birthday remembering him "with gratitude for your selfless services
in the struggle for India's Independence" and conveying "on behalf of
the people of India, and on my own behalf, good wishes for your long
life, good health and happiness".

--
Dr. Enrica Garzilli
University of Macerata, Italy