Notes on GRETIL

GRUENENDAHL GRUENEN at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Thu Nov 15 17:29:17 UTC 2001

Dear list members,

please note that the Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in
Indian Languages (GRETIL) now registers c. 100 e-texts in
Tamil:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm#Tamil

This includes most e-texts of the "Project Madurai" provided in
TSCII (Tamil Script Code for Information Interchange) encoding.
The only alternative encoding I can presently offer for these
texts is CSX (Classical Sanskrit eXtended) because the earlier
version of Ronald E. Emmericks encoding ("REE"), the GRETIL default,
does not include diacritics for Dravidian languages.

As stated in my introduction, I had intended to confine GRETIL
to e-texts in encodings based on Latin script, at least for a start.
These encodings can be swapped with relative ease, once
"diacritics" have been determined. However, converting encodings
based on Indian scripts, especially for Dravidian languages, is an
entirely different matter, as a look at a random TSCII file will
show:
http://www.tamil.net/projectmadurai/pub/pm0009/tirmdr3.tsc

Now, in view of some comments I saw fit to get this problem out
of the way as soon as possible. Dravidists are called upon to
suggest further additions.

As stated in the introduction, GRETIL is "cumulative" and
"under construction" - this probably being a permanent state.
Basically, I follow the categories of the GRETIL index from top
to bottom. That's why some categories towards the end of the list
still look quite empty.

If you have any suggestions or additions, please let me know.

Thanks to Jean-Luc Chevillard, Harunaga Isaacson and Birgit Kellner
for their contributions.

Best regards

R. Gruenendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)
37070 Goettingen
Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm

In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm