Uninformed discussion on the Gita

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Mar 27 20:12:43 UTC 2001

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> The discussion of the Gita this month has generated 50 messages to date,
> yet not one citation of Jean Przyluski's famous and fundamental study of
> the work.  How is this possible?

Sorry everyone.  It wasn't Przyluski's book I was thinking of, it was
Lamotte's _Notes sur la Gita_ (Paris 1929).  I was dredging up a memory
from twenty-five years ago, so perhaps I can be forgiven.  As a student
under Gombrich and Zaehner, I remember being told that without first
reading this little study by Lamotte, I should consider that I had nothing
to offer by way of informed comment on the Gita.  In his own Gita book,
Zaehner makes a rather provocative, but nevertheless valid point that
Lamotte and other authors he has mentioned "unlike most commentators on
the Gita, were primarily intereseted in the actual content of the Gita,
not in what they thought that content ought to be."

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.