Modern Maithili script

Dragomir Dimitrov dimitrov at STUD-MAILER.UNI-MARBURG.DE
Mon Mar 5 14:13:49 UTC 2001

Dear list-members,

can someone tell me whether the Modern Maithili script is still being
used in certain parts of India (Bihar, around Darbhanga?) and Nepal?
Or has it been totally replaced by the Devanagari script?  If the
Maithili script is still being used by certain people (e.g. some
Brahmans in Darbhanga), are there any books, magazines, newspapers
published recently in this script? Is there any Maithili font
available? I have only one specimen of a text written in the Maithili
script around the end of the 19th cent. to be seen in Grierson's
"Linguistic Survey of India", vol. 5, part 2. Calcutta 1903, pp.
56-58. I am now looking for more recent specimens.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Best regards,
Dragomir Dimitrov

Dragomir DIMITROV, M.A.
Fachgebiet Indologie, FB 10
Philipps-Universitaet Marburg
Wilhelm-Roepke-Str.6F
D-35032 Marburg, GERMANY
Tel.: 0049 6421 282 2184, 0049 177 7172924
Fax:  0049 6421 282 4995
dimitrov at stud-mailer.uni-marburg.de
http://stud-www.uni-marburg.de/~Dimitrov/