SV: SV: Plight of Buddhist art

V.V. Raman VVRSPS at RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU
Thu Mar 1 04:45:26 UTC 2001

I don't resonate with the harsh language and angry tone in Mr. Oberoi's
posting, but it seems to me that he is making a point which is not trivial:
Though one may condemn this particular act of the Taliban, and may even
attribute it to some inherent feature in the rigid version of their religion,
as scholars, i.e. as dispassionate observers/commentators,  perhaps we must
take into account the dire economic problems  the psychological frustrations
resulting from their political isolation, and such other factors which might
have contributed to their drastic decision.
Indeed, such understanding could enable us to avert similar actions there or
elsewhere in the world.
In other words, one may condemn what they are doing, but one may also try to
understand the human/pressing/political factors which might have lead the
Afghan leaders to this particular move. Such an attempt to understand does not
mean that one condones the act.
Though I am personally very opposed to the Taliban decision, I think Mr. Oberoi
is bringing to our attention an important aspect of the situation.
Best regards,
VVRaman