SV: Did you hear this?

Tue Jan 30 12:02:44 UTC 2001

>unless it pays off, I don't think the new initiative will cut much dice
>among up-and-forward moving new technologists. They have better things to
>do.

Actually, I am surprised that one elective course out of some
thirty plus elective courses available to students at one IIT
out of six makes such news. Out of a few hundred graduating
students per year, about thirty students sign up on average,
for each such elective. The less popular ones get about five
students and still remain on the course catalogs. Big deal ...

As for better things to do, senior students tend to take those
electives in which they can get by easily, without having to
work hard. Their attention is on applying to graduate school
(abroad) and looking for jobs.

Vidyasankar