Tibetan names (for citation)

Timothy C. Cahill tccahill at LOYNO.EDU
Sat Jan 20 01:25:57 UTC 2001

Colleagues and friends,

   I need to know the proper forms for citing some Tibetan authors. The
five names are below, followed in some cases by (the same?) names in
square brackets as listed on WorldCat. (Do Tibetologists prefer hyphens?)

Sa-skya PaN chen (PaNDita) kun dga' rgyal mtshan [Sa-skya Pandi-ta
Kun-dga'-rgyal-mtshan (1182-1251)]

sNar thang lo tsA ba dGe 'dun dpal [Dge-'dun-dpal, Snar-than lo-tsa-ba]

dPang lo tsA ba Blo gros brtan pa [Blo-gros-brtan-pa, Sne-than-pa]

Rin-spuns-pa Nag-dban-'jig-rten-dban-phyug-grags-pa  [Rin-spuns
Nag-dban-jigs-grags kyis brtsams]

Si-tu Pan-chen Chos-kyi-'byun-gnas. (1699-1774)

Being unable to read Tibetan, I can't distinguish titles from names, nor
do I know of the conventions which Tibetologists use in listing such
names. Further, the entries below list two works (commentaries on Dandin's
Kavyadarsa) which have nearly the same title. I have alphabetized texts by
title according to the usual traditional alphabetical order. Is the
following order correct?

Snyan ngag Me long gi grel pa Dbyangs can ngag gi rol mtsho:
a commentary on Dandin's Kavyadarsha.
author: Bstan-'dzin-chos-kyi-ni-ma, Khams-sprul IV (1730-1779)
[Tashijong, 1969]

Snyan ngag me long gi grel pa Dbyangs can rol mtsho: a commentary on
Dandin's Kavyadarsha.
author: Mi-pham-rgya-mtsho, 'Jam-mgon 'Ju, (1846-1912) [New Delhi: 1969]

The former work is described on WorldCat as: "by the Fourth Khams-sprul
Bstan-dzin-chos-kyi-nyi-ma; together with his Lha Chen Po Khyab Jug Gi
Jug Pa Bcui Gtam Rgya Bal Mkhas Pai Zhal Rgyun, a poetic rendering of the
story of the ten avatars of Vishnu." (But this would be something quite
different than the subtitle indicates: a com. on Dandin's KA.)

How do the names given in the WorldCat description relate to the one given
as "author" i.e., Mi-pham-rgya-mtsho?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

best wishes,
Tim Cahill