Karnataka/KannaDa (was: Karave caste and Kurus)

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at GMX.LI
Mon Jan 15 15:06:27 UTC 2001

Am 13 Jan 2001, um 14:13 schrieb N. Ganesan:

> Ka. himmaDi, Ka. himmeTTu, Ta. tImmozi, Ta. mummalam

> etc. are not relevant and they do not have any bearing in

> the formation of the language name, Kannada.

> What is needed is -ann- << -amn- and not -mm- examples.

</color>But you have still not explained what is so important about the
vowel, and why the examples with 'e' are irrelevant.

It may well be that there are no other examples, and that this does
not matter either, for: how many monosyllabic lexemes that
become the first element in compounds are there? hiC- ('C' here
stands for 'consonant'), muC-, keC-, kaC- and a few numerals, and
I think this is all. They are about as rare as Dravidian adjectives
are; and with such few instances, it seems difficult to draw
statistically binding conclusions.

> not just in Tamil.

</color>I had a look at it, but it seems to concern Prakrit, and not Sanskrit,
:-) and the combination r+n gives .n.n (cerebral). Anyhow, the Tamil
example does look good and confirms that the old suggestion karu-
naa.du is a serious possibility - even if it is Tamil and not Kannada.
But I am still not entirely convinced that kam-naa.du is impossible,
or that the parallel examples with kem- are not relevant.

The question would of course be solved if we find an old inscription
that explicitly tells us the etymology - but I don't think that we
should hold our breath waiting for that, and for the time being we
should perhaps keep the question open.

RZ

Robert Zydenbos
Institut für Indologie und Iranistik