Karnataka/KannaDa (was: Karave caste and Kurus)

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 13 14:13:05 UTC 2001

Yesterday, I wrote:
>Ka. himmaDi, Ka. himmeTTu, Ta. tImmozi, Ta. mummalam
>etc. are relevant and have any bearing in the formation of Kannada.
>What is needed is -ann- < -amn- and not -mm- examples.

Sorry for the error. This should read as:

Ka. himmaDi, Ka. himmeTTu, Ta. tImmozi, Ta. mummalam
etc. are not relevant and they do not have any bearing in
the formation of the language name, Kannada.
What is needed is -ann- < -amn- and not -mm- examples.

---------------------------
RZ>I cannot think of any example right now; on the other hand, I do
RZ>not know whether we should consider the difference e / a important
RZ>here.

We can only show Ka. and Tam. assimilation examples in
-e(/i)mn- > -e(/i)nn-. But NOT with -amn- > -ann-.

RZ>Do you know an example? Because what you mention is the
RZ>following concerns something else -

NG>> -run- where n is dental  assimilates to
NG>> -n2n2- where n2 is alveolar. Eg., karunATu > kan2n2ATu
NG>> if we apply Tamil sandhi.

This mentioned assimilation from -rn-/-run- > -nn- has
direct relevance in the relation between KannaDa and KarnATaka
than what is given below.

>One question to be considered is whether Tamil sandhi should be
>applied to Kannada. :-)

The type of assimilation happens in Sanskrit as well,
not just in Tamil.
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9906&L=indology&P=R4239

>Kannada (where a distinction between n
>and n2 is nowhere recorded, unlike in Tamil) goes further in
>consonant assimilation in compounds, as we can see, e.g., in
>words in which the first element is he+[consonant], meaning 'large'.
>(The Kannada adjective hiriya is the cognate of Tamil periya; hiridu
>< OKa piridu 'what is large / old / great / senior'.) The r is obviously
>lexically important, as we can see in older literature: per-maram 'large
>tree', but later it becomes hem-mara; cf. also heb-bera.lu 'large finger =
>thumb', hed-daari 'big road = highway', hej-jiga.ne 'large leech'.

Thanks for confirmation in Kannada as well. All the above
have to do with assimilation from -rum-/-rm- > -mm-.
Sanskrit and Tamil examples are listed in the URL above.
But, these have nothing to do with -nn- in KannaDa.

R. N's suggestion kam 'fragrant' + nADu is dubious, and no
other examples of this assimilation (C)amn > (C)ann exist in either
Kannada or Tamil.

Regards,
N. Ganesan