One more try: dIrgha svarita in Taittiriya Samhita

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 12 02:53:14 UTC 2001

Dear list members,

Also one more try re: dIrgha svarita in the Taittiriya Samhita.  My chanting
book for the Rudram from the Taittiriya Samhita marks dIrgha svarita (with
two vertical lines above the letter) but as far as I can see neither Sastri
and Rangacharyas nor Satavekaras edition appear to mark "dIrgha svarita" in
any special way and mark it the same way they mark normal svarita with one
vertical line above the letter.  Can anyone tell me:

a) Do Taittiriya Samhita manuscripts distinguish dIrgha svarita.
b) What is the rule for when there should be a "dIrgha svarita" instead of a
regular "svarita".

Many thanks,

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.