Once again: Double anunasika in Taittiriya Samhita

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 12 02:43:43 UTC 2001

Dear list members,

I just asked a question on the list about what appears to be a symbol for a
"double anunasika" in the Taittirya Samhita.  I.e. in the text at some
places where one would expect "anunAsika" there occurs two chandrabindus one
above the other over virama (instead of a single chandrabindu over virama).
The observation has been sent to me that this "double chandrabindu" symbol
only but not always occurs before sibilants or h followed by a consonent;
but only occurs after a short vowel.

Examples (H-K convention & = anunAsika)

TS.1.2.7.1  ...dakSiNamuzannuzaMta&& syonassyona&& svA
TS.1.2.9.1  ...devaissa&&skRtaM
TS.1.3.4    ...yantAsi varUtha&& svAhA
TS.1.3.10.1 ...puSNo ra&&ha

but

TS.1.1.13.2 ... ta& sa&srAvabhAgAsstheSU
TS.1.1.13.3 ... yajJa& svAhA

etc.

Can someone tell me:

a) The meaning of the "double chandrabindu" symbol.
b) The rule for when it occurs instead of the normal symbol "candrabindu"
for anunAsika.

Many thanks,

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.