Structure of the Rudram

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 9 20:42:07 UTC 2001

Dear list members,

The tapes and chanting books I have of the Rudram all have the following
structure:
--------
TS 4.5.1

followed by:
namaste astu bhagavanvizvezvarAya mahAdevAya tryambakAya tripurAntakAya
trikAlAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakanThAya mRtyunjayAya sarvezvarAya
sadAzivAya zrIman mahAdevAya namaH |

followed by:
TS 4.5.2 thru TS 4.5.11

followed by:
tryAmbakaM yajAmahe sugandhim puSTivardhanaM | urvArukamiva
bandhanAnmRtyormukSIya mAmRtAt | Yo rudro agnau yo apsu ya oSadhISu yo rudro
vizvA bhuvanA viveza tasmai rudrAya namo astu | tamuSTuhi yaH sviSuH
sudhanvA yo vizvasya kSayati bheSajasya | yakSvAmahe saumanasAya rudram
namobhirdevamasuraM duvasya | ayaM me hasto bhagavAnayaM me bhagavattaraH |
ayaM me vizvabheSajoya& zivAbhimarzanaH | Ye te sahasramayutaM pAzA mRtyo
martyAya hantave | tAnyajnasyamAyayA sarvAnava yajAmahe | mRtyave svAhA
mRtyave svAha | Om namo bhagavate rudrAya viSNave mRtyurme pAhi | prANAnAM
granthirasi rudro mA vizAntakaH | tenAnnenApyAyasva | Namo rudrAya viSNave
mRtyurme pAhi |

followed by:
TS 4.7.1 thru TS 4.7.11

followed by:
iDA devahUrmanuryajnanIrbRhaspati rukthAmadAni za&siSadvizvedevaH sUktavAcaH
pRthivi mAtarmA mA hi&sIrmadhu maniSye madhu janiSye madhu vakSyAmi madhu
vadiSyAmi madhmatIm devebhyovAcamudyAsa& zuzrUSeNyAM manuSyebhyastaM mA devA
avantu zobhAyai pitaronumadantu |
-----------

1)Can anyone give me any references in the religious literature (of any
period) stating that the Rudram should be chanted in this form.  I already
have the reference to TS 5.7.3.3 from Gonda's article "Satarudriya" refering
to "zatarudriya" (TS 4.5) and "vasor dhArA" (TS 4.7.1 thru TS 4.7.11)
together.  What I'm really looking for is a reference in the religious
literature to the inclusion of the mantra "namaste astu bhagavanvizvezvarAya
... mahAdevAya namaH |" between TS.4.5.1 and 4.5.2 (A Hindu website I found
states that this mantra is always included in the Rudram chant but gives no
references or authorities), and to the inclusion of the verses I've
indicated that follow TS 4.5.11 and 4.7.11.

2)The names "rudram","namakam","camakam".  Can anyone give me references to
these names in the literature (of any period).  Or give me any other
information about them such as how far back these are known etc.  Gonda in
his article gives a reference to the name "rudrAH" from ViSnu sMrti as
refering to the zatarudriya but no reference to the use of the names
"rudram","namakam" or camakam".

3)Gonda in his article states that the zatarudriya is chanted daily in
zaivite temples.  Would that be only TS.4.5 i.e. the zatarudriya or would it
be namakam and camakam in the form I've indicated above.  Also is it only
the taittiriya samhita version of the Rudram that is chanted in Saivite
temples today or would some Saivite temples use the versions from other
samhitas.

Many thanks,

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.