Govala/Golla and tamil KOvalar tribes

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 8 02:24:17 UTC 2001

Lakshmi Srinivas wrote:

>>Another point for your consideration. The ancient
>>Tamil name for the town of kOval (tirukkOvalUr) is
>>iTaikazi. kOval could actually be a rendering of
>>iTaikazi, influenced perhaps by the first part of
>>the more obscure iTaikazi.

N. Ganesan wrote:
<<
My last request for reference. "Ancient name for
the town of kOval is iTaikazi".??
I have read "kOval" as the place name, but not
iTaikazi, in CT.

LS wrote:
>I had forgotten your appetite for references :-)

Without the references, one never knows whether
it's the mailer's personal view, or attested
in original sources.

>I'm away from my books but you may want to check EI v.
>8, Inscriptions of Rajendra. I remember this to have
>some text concerning a closely associated
>caturvedimangalam and the temple iTaikazi.

  But the temple iTaikazi in Rajendra I's mid-11th
century inscription is at least 1000 years later
than kOval in CT.

>Regards, LS
>PS: What about cEntan tiruvaicaippa (verse 4 or 5)? Do
>you have the text of it? It does, I remember, refer to
>a "tiruviTaikkazi" but it may be a different one.

  TiruviTaikkazi, in Tanjore disrict is famous for
the Muruhan temple, and at a far distance to
kOval which really is in S. Arcot!

Regards,
N. Ganesan