Govala/Golla and tamil KOvalar tribes

Lakshmi Srinivas lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 8 01:06:19 UTC 2001

--- "N. Ganesan" <naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> Lakshmi Srinivas wrote:
> >Another point for your consideration. The ancient
> >Tamil name for the town of kOval (tirukkOvalUr) is
> >iTaikazi. kOval could actually be a rendering of
> >iTaikazi, influenced perhaps by the first part of
> the
> >more obscure iTaikazi.
>
> My last request for reference. "Ancient name for
> the town of kOval is iTaikazi".??
> I have read "kOval" as the place name, but not
> iTaikazi, in CT.

I had forgotten your appetite for references :-)

I'm away from my books but you may want to check EI v.
8, Inscriptions of Rajendra. I remember this to have
some text concerning a closely associated
caturvedimangalam and the temple iTaikazi.

Regards,

LS

PS: What about cEntan tiruvaicaippa (verse 4 or 5)? Do
you have the text of it? It does, I remember, refer to
a "tiruviTaikkazi" but it may be a different one.