question on recaka-pUraka-kumbhaka

Lubomir Ondracka ondracka at TIGER.VSCHT.CZ
Fri Jan 5 12:16:57 UTC 2001

> The Yaajnavalkyasm.rti does not. I don't have Yogayaajnavalkya
> with me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a controversy regarding the date and authorship of these two texts:
1) Yogayajnavalya[samhita]
2) Brhadyogiyajnavalkyasmrti /BYS/

For the discussion on this problem see these articles:
P. C. Divanji, Brhad Yogi Yajnavalkya-Smrti and Yoga Yajnavalkya,
               ABORI 34 (1953): 1-29
S. Kuvalayananda and R. Kokaje, A Reply to Sri P. C. Divanji's Comments on
               Brhadyogiyajnavalkyasmrti, ABORI 37 (1956): 279-289
C. T. Kenghe, Some Further Observations on the Problem of the Original
               Yogayajnavalkya. ABORI 52 (1971): 49-65
M. L. Gharote and V. B. Bedekar, The Real One, in Brhadyogiyajnavalkyasmrti,
               Engl. transl., Lonavla:  S.M.Y.M. Samiti, 1982, pp. 134-167

Good summary of this discussion has Kane, History of Dharmasastra, vol.1,
pt. 1, 2nd ed., pp. 449-459, and vol. 5, pt. 2, 2nd ed., pp. 1403-1408.

BYS has the terms recaka-puraka-kumbhaka (in 8th chapter on pranayama),
but be aware that this text is quite late (cca 7-10th c.).

--
 Lubomir Ondracka
 Institute of Philosophy & Religious Studies
 e-mail:   ondracka at tiger.vscht.cz