Dravidian origins

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 4 17:37:51 UTC 2001

 At 09:37 PM 12/30/00 -0600, Sn. Subrahmanya wrote:
>>I must remind Dr.Zydenbos, that while India remains a poor
>>place (because of massive orderly looting by europeans), it
>>remains democratic and has taken great steps in breaking bonds
>>that hold back dalits. Even the priesthood is not the sole
>>prerogative of any one group now.

Rm. Krishnan responded:
>Is it so? Can you give me an example of just one temple in South India
>where this change in priesthood has occurred in the recent times? It has
>always been an one way traffic from non-brahminized to brahminized customs
>and priests. Classical example is Pazhani Muruhan temple.

 prof. Dr. Subrahmanya's statement is a surprise!

 In the modern secularizing world, Hindu priesthood, and Head seats of Mutts
 including Saiva Siddhanta Adheenams, Srivaishnava Jeeyar TirumaTams,
 Veerasaiva Mutts and even the ancient Kanchi Mutt can be made available
 to serve by qualified Indians with training in agamas, pUjA, philosophy,
 Sanskrit, the local state language ..., irrespective of caste.

 Glad to note that indeed this thinking is happening in among
 Indian elites and those with power. That will definitely be a step
 forward in the first century of the third millennium.

 Dalitas got entry permit into the temples in the last century.
 When can they become priests?

 My best,
 SM

Sn. Subrahmanya wrote:
 >In addition to the head of
 >state,the leader of the major ruling political party in India
 >is a dalit.
 >
 >No country in Europe can claim having minorities or
 >the underclass as heads of state or occupying positions of power.
 >
 >It must also be pointed out that Europeans
 >have conducted the most horrific crimes ever and eliminated
 >entire civilizations. No amount  of loud speaking can cover it up.
 >
 >Europe still has the greatest amount of racist attacks and
 >killings.
 >Compared to that the incidents in India are much less.
 >Remember India has almost 2.5 to 3  times more population and
 >many times poorer
 >
 >While Europe may have many good admirable things. Academic
 >prejudice and using old ideas to reinforce euro supremacist
 >notions is present in Europe. Recognizing some of such weaknesses
 >is definitely a sign of overall academic strength. Some of our
 >friends on this list have not yet realized that.
 >
 >Subrahmanya

Rm. Krishnan responded:
<<<
 Often enough, your postings are bordering politics (especially the present
 day one of rewritng/revisionist Hindutva politics). I can understand and
 appreciate an occasional one; but not so regular.  I don't know what is
 your agenda.  If we start countering your points one by one, and you reply
 in continuum, then we would be discussing politics and not Indology thus
 deviating from the guidelines followed by the founder of this list. Hence I
 refrain from doing that. (After all, this is 2001 beginning. Why start a
 polemic?)

 Hope you understand. The title of this thread is Dravidian Origins.

 With regards,
 RM.Krishnan