SV: Plight of Buddhist art

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Wed Feb 28 09:07:17 UTC 2001

Venkatraman Iyer [SMTP:venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM] skrev 28. februar 2001
01:33:
> BBC broadcasts that Buddhist statues are to be destroyed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1192000/1192195
.stm

> Can Indologists do something?

Probably not. I suspect that this announcement on the part of the Taliban
is an invitation to the powers that be to offer something in return for not
going through with the destruction. Possibly, the Taliban can be bought off
(economically or politically), but it probably takes more than whatever the
Indologists on this list can offer. Perhaps, we can turn to our governments
and implore them to bribe the Taliban not to go through with their plans.
We might, e.g., suggest that civilized governments of the world offer to
buy the statues that the Taliban want to destroy.

Otherwise, all we can do, is lament the folly of religious fanatics if they
go through with this.

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,