Plight of Buddhist art

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at APPLEONLINE.NET
Wed Feb 28 07:25:09 UTC 2001

>Venkatraman Iyer writes:
>
><< BBC broadcasts that Buddhist statues are to be destroyed:
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1192000/1192195.stm

>Can Indologists do something? >>

I feel so helpless about this.  I believe that previously, eminent
archaeologists etc have been able to use contacts with the less extreme
factions in Afghanistan to protect the country's most important works of
art.  But this doesn't seem to be working any more.

I'm left with this feeling that if--just supposing--an extreme faction had
taken over in France, and was intent on destroying the contents of the
Louvre, the world would have found some way of stopping them!

It is Ven. Tantra who is mistaken here.  And I don't find his posting helpful.

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK