Indological Book House: bad business practice

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Mon Feb 26 17:38:30 UTC 2001

The Indological Book House has sent me a strong reaction to my posting.

They deny sending their publications lists to people who have not
requested them, and they claim that they remove people from their mailing
lists upon request.

They also deplored my summary cancellation of their membership of this
forum, which was carried out because they posted their advertisements to
the list.  IBH says it did not know that this was a breach of netiquette,
and that the "rules" for INDOLOGY do not say "no advertising".  (They do
now, sigh!)

I have written back to the company, saying that I think that a knowledge
of netiquette can reasonably be expected from anyone with an internet
account.  I also noted that the experience of people who have written to
me about recieving unsolicited IBH advertising does not match IBH's claims
about good advertising practice.

IBH also reminded me that they are a long-standing company dedicated to
high quality publishing of indological books.  I agree.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.