clarification

Sat Feb 17 00:28:36 UTC 2001

My earlier comment about cutting Indira Gandhi some slack
seems to have sparked a lot of surprise in many people.

I hold no brief for the lady, and I do think she made a
big mess out of Punjab. However, the more she is blamed
for visiting one or the other guru, or for behaving like
a Hindu, the more right-wingers on both Hindu and Muslim
sides gain in power. The result will only be a collision
course that ends in a Balkanization of India. This may
not be realized by those who desire not to be simplistic,
but some things are really very simple. Then again, some
who call themselves secular would perhaps be perfectly
happy if India splits into numerous xyz-stans, with the
inevitable population transfers and insane carnage.

alam ativistareNa,
Vidyasankar