Sikhandin

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 14 16:24:53 UTC 2001

Dear Mr. Fleming,

Sikhandin story is analyzed in Wendy Doniger's recent book:
Splitting the Difference, 1999. For more refs, check the
endnotes.

Regards,
N. Ganesan

Dear List Members,
I am searching for references to Sikhandin, specifically stories describing
his transformation from a woman into a man via the yaksha named Sthuna who
gives Sikhandini his male genetalia.  I have found two brief referencse to
this tale in the Adi Parvan of the Mahabharata (I, 63; I, 67), but would
like to read some more lengthy and detailed accounts.  Any references would
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
B. Fleming