dvija varNa

Lynken Ghose lynkenghose at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 11 23:03:48 UTC 2001

Yashwant and Indology List:

It is not clear from the scriptures what varn.a the Buddha was originally
from, so one cannot state such a thing with certainty. Also, from what
sources are you getting the information that the previous Buddhas were
Brahmin or Ksatriya?

In addition, where are getting the information that the immediate disciples
and leaders of the early Buddhist communities were Brahmin?
According to R. Gombrich's "Theravada Buddhism" (pp. 55-56), there were
people of all castes in the community.

Gombrich quotes a study done on a 5th cent. commentary to the Theragatha and
Therigatha hymns, in which it is clear that the majority of the disciples
were Brahmin, but certainly far from all. Are you concluding, from this
study, that the most of the leaders were Brahmin? This connection is not
made, as far as I know, in Gombrich.

Lynken Ghose