the British and Devanagari (Was: Urdu, Hindi, and Sanskrit)

Aditya, the Cheerful Hindu Skeptic a018967t at BC.SEFLIN.ORG
Thu Feb 8 20:50:25 UTC 2001

Allen W Thrasher <athr at LOC.GOV> has written as follows:

>I seem to recall the British made a decision that printing of Sanskrit
>works from government institutions would only be in Devanagari.  But I
>have no idea where I heard this.  Is this true?  If so, what are the
>sources for the assertion and when, how, and why was the decision
>made?
I have not heard about British printing any works in Sanskrit in any script
but which other script could have been used?

British army did print their documents in Roman script.

Have a peaceful and joyous day.
Aditya Mishra
Primary email: a018967t at bc.seflin.org
Primary homepage: http://www.pompano.net/~aditya
ICQ # 1131674 Phone #: (954)746-0442  Fax # (209)315-8571
Random thought of the day:
        Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks