New interpretation of Yoga Suutra

SUBSCRIBE INDOLOGY Dmitri dmitris at PIPELINE.COM
Wed Feb 7 03:40:52 UTC 2001

Dear Bhadraiah,

It is possible to split I.3 as

   tadA   adraSTuH  svarUpe   avasthAnaM
        1         2        3   4

In this case it might be translated as

In that case  that which has no impression
            1                             2

[has]
      in its own form   standing apart
                      3               4

Or, paraphrased, as

In that case unobservable relaxes in its natural form.

It makes sense.  Thus, on subliminal level I.3 might express equivalence:

impressions stand apart from distorting influences in their natural from
<=>
unobservable relaxes in its natural form

What is that unobservable?
Overall, I tried to avoid references to such notions,
but they might be in YS anyway.

>In many cases (such as above), even a chanting of the sUtra can locate a
>possible error.

I didn't make any assumptions about YS having any metre or
possessing an ease of chanting.
Are there any reasons to make such assumptions?

>"draSTuHsvarUpe" seems to contain some apazruti, as it needs
>too much labor on a weaker ground. "adraSTuHsvarUpe" sounds perfect.

What is apazruti? What is "weaker ground"?

Thanks for the comment Bhadraiah.
Best regards,
             Dmitri.