SV: Death of Sanskrit

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Fri Aug 10 13:38:48 UTC 2001

Madhav M. Deshpande [SMTP:mmdesh at UMICH.EDU] skrev 10. august 2001 14:25:
>Last time I was in Pune in 1999, I attended the publication ceremony for
Professor G.B. Palsule's epic
>length Sanskrit work on Savarkar's life.

Would it be possible to get the bibliographic info on Palsule's work?

Apart from that, I support Madhav's view that Skt. is not entirely dead. We
need to know more about what is written in Skt today, it is likely to be an
important source for people studying Neo-Hinduism and Hindu politics. Apart
from that, I see no intrinsic reason why modern Sanskrit works should be
devoid of literary merit. That would depend on the writer, not the language
employed.

Some years ago, I came across a Sanskrit translation of a short story by
Tolstoj. I would like to ask: is this a lone bird in the sky, or is there a
broader translation activity in the same vein?

It would also be interesting to know how many people in India today are
able to read a work composed in Sanskrit, their sociological profile etc.
(I am sure not everyone is a Brahmin!).

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,