"invasion"?

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 14 13:18:50 UTC 2001

Dr. Witzel wrote:
>Why? Simply because we like to listen to each other's points of view. We
>both bring in items that are not (prominent) in the background of the
>other.

The reason for anger and nasty attacks is clear. The sin
was to showcase the fact that no Indus horse nor any chariots
for the Indian public. Also, the Indian Iron age data, (pointed
to the list by Dr. Farmer I think, and then Dr. Thompson gave
a reference book on the subject by Prof. Possehl)
brings down the date of Rigveda considerably. The violent
attacks are to make Indologists and Scholars from other
fields *not* to write and collaborate.

In Tamil, we have an ancient proverb: "it's always easy
to wake up a man *really* asleep. But, hard to wake up
some one who is acting as tho' he's in deep sleep".

>This is generally *not* understood by the more 'patriotic' discussants.
>They insist on an either/ or, which -- to me -- looks rather 'Semetic'
>(sic! their favorite term): where is India's famous 'tolerance', or let us
>put it this way: her receptiveness for multiple explanations?

"Aryans entered into India" - the Indologists' findings
are not acceptable to them, because of the efforts
to impose their languages and a host of other things that
put them on top on the minority language speakers in India.
Minority religions, Weak sections of India without
money, press, or education, groups that has least
defence are at risk.

The Hindutva folks insist that they have read Sanskrit
in the Indus seals, even tho' most use only Griffith's
translation of the Veda! It's sad that Vedicists like
Thompson have been stopped from writing in the list.

>navavarSa-zubhakaamanaa  & ditto, for  Passover  &  Easter!

puttANDu nalvAzttukkaL!

                       *******

>I have one question here: is it really not possible that the processes in
>question here happened later than the second millennium, or about at the
>end of it?
>Lukas Werth

Good possibility. See the archives about the age of iron
in India. It gets into religious manual like RV after some time
in general use. Even Dr. Witzel who used to write RV
in the final form in 1200 BCE here for years, changed it
to something like 900 BCE.

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9603&L=indology&P=R3351