"invasion"?

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 13 17:45:45 UTC 2001

>So either 'Indians' went out from India and spread a version of their
>language all over Europe and elsewhere or people came from outside
>and brought that language to India. There are all sorts of problems
>with the former assumption and all sorts of evidence it would come up
>against. So we have to accept that at some point the language was
>brought in.

Never mind how vedic concepts evolved within or entered into India, It is
clear the culture incubated in Indian subcontinent and there was enough
leasure time to develop into 1000 or more zAkhAs. This means there was
financial stability.

Now invasions have their own logic. An outsider may come and invade for
money, whereas an insider may go out and invade nearby kingdoms to make them
vedic, so as to keep some buffer kingdoms and Sanskritize them to protect
themselves for strategic reasons (I don't know how many kings had this
vision, but definitely some kings must have it.) The fact that an outside
philosophy that is alien to veda hadn't reached India till Ghajni should
prove that the defense layers were pretty strong.

>Anything else is open to debate. It could conceivably have been
>earlier than the second millennium. But at present the best guess as
>to when it happened is that period.

This needs quantitative studies in terms of populations, purchasing power of
gold etc, wealth of kingdoms etc, not just qualitative linguistic studies.
For example one bench mark may be : How many recensions of Rgveda were there
in 1200BC? How many were left in 700AD? Assuming we start with the
ridiculous "1 recension" in 1200BC to 1000  recensions in 700AD, we will
have an average of 500 recensions.   How much manpower is needed to maintain
an average of 500 recensions of Rgveda for at least 1900 years starting
1200BC to 700AD? How much money is needed to support this effort? What was
the financial strength of kings who had this much spare money? .. just a few
questions..

Regards
Bhadraiah