Etymology of sanskrit roots miS and miil

Periannan Chandrasekaran perichandra at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 10 17:48:26 UTC 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:25:40 +0200, Gunthard Mueller <gm at ANTHOSIMPRINT.COM>
wrote:

>(a) PIE had no word-initial variation of *m-/*v-.

>(b) It is very hard to prove that Skt. vid- "know" ever fully lost
>its linkage to "see". Grassmann and others list TWO vid- roots already
> for Vedic, but cannot really separate the two.

>Gunthard Mueller
>gm at e-ternals.com

1. Are we then left to conclude that Skt. miS/mIL are borrowals from
Dravidian roots viz/miz?

2. Also what about the phonetic similarity of the following pairs
all in the visual semantic cluster?

  Skt. vid                 Dr. viz-
  Skt. miS                 Dr. viz-/miz-
  Skt. mIL                 Dr. viz-/miz-/miL-
  Skt. dRz                 Dr. ter-
  Skt. pA/pAl              Dr. pAr
  Skt. kSaN                Dr. kaN
  Skt. kaN                 Dr. kaN
                           Dr. kA (to watch, protect)

Are all of the above coincidences or borrowals only?

Regards,
P.Chandrasekaran.