Etymology of sanskrit roots miS and miil

Gunthard Mueller gm at ANTHOSIMPRINT.COM
Tue Apr 10 01:25:40 UTC 2001

(a) PIE had no word-initial variation of *m-/*v-.
(b) It is very hard to prove that Skt. vid- "know" ever fully lost
its linkage to "see". Grassmann and others list TWO vid- roots already
for Vedic, but cannot really separate the two. A very comparable
situation in Ancient Greek, where (*v-)oida (Grecists may forgive
my exotic spelling, but no HTML code for the u with the subscript...)
corresponds precisely to Skt. veda < *voida and also never really
lost its connection to the root (*v-)id- "see", as in eidon "I saw"
< *e-vid-om etc.
In German there has been a strong semantic shift towards "know",
e.g. Modern High German "ich weiß" (Dialects still have "woiß")
(originally a perfect, too!), "wissen" (root *vid-), but the old meaning
"see" is still there in semantic traces such as in "ge-wiss" ("certain",
i.e. clearly visible).
(I am skipping other IE branches.)

These parallels seem to point to an already PIE situation where "to see",
"to find", "to have seen/found" and "to know/be aware of"
are a semantic continuum covered by the single root *vid- and its
perfect formation *void-.
In other words: it seems the Skt. ambivalence was already there in PIE
and radiated out fairly similarly into other IE branches as well.

Yours,
Gunthard

Gunthard Mueller
gm at e-ternals.com