Jain Bhakti (was: quiry)

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 9 19:39:00 UTC 2001

<<<
Can anyone tell me the reference of the following work?
J. Cort: Expanding the Field of Vision: Bhakti in the early Jain
Tradition. It is mentioned by Olle Qvarnstrom (IIJ 41 (1998) p.48,
footnote 28) as forthcoming without any details and I haven't been
able to find it.

Contact Prof. John Cort. His email: cort at denison.edu
When I got a preprint of this article, he mentioned that
it will appear in the jl., History of Religions.
As I recall, Cort uses some published data from Tamil bhakti
poetry.

But:
zrAvakas and bhakti-like rituals occur much
earlier in Tamil sangam poetry. Near that passage, there
is a reference to another paLLi which is assigned to belong to
the Buddhists by a medieval commentator. Also, note that
many earliest Tamil inscriptions are donative records to
Jain monks.

Have you seen Cort, Open boundaries: Jain communities and culture in
Indian history. SUNY, 1998

Regards,
N. Ganesan