RAJARAM EPISODE

hans henrich hock hhhock at UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU
Sat Sep 30 20:00:49 UTC 2000

The comments below are not specifically directed at Nanda Chandran or
at Robert Zydenbos.  I must ask the two for their indulgence and
understanding.

I have been watching the growing altercation following in the
aftermath of Rajaram's obviously ill-established claims, and I am
getting progressively irritated by the shrillness and the
increasingly pervasive holier-than-thou attitude on all too many of
the sides to the debate.

I am also heartened by occasional requests for civility and for calls
for impartially investigating and questioning *all* claims, whether
by past or present Indologists (whose attitudes on race and power
clearly are not monolithic and unchanging), by leftists or
progressives (who, again, show great variation and change), or
nationalists and rightists of various extremes (among whom, too,
there is no full unanimity). I would very much hope that this
universally-critical attitude will prevail on our list.  In fact,
closer examination readily shows up problems in virtually every
corner (except, of course, one's own?).

Ultimately, what should concern us on this list is, not political and
ideological stances (which tend to change constantly), but a search
for truth, however elusive it may be.  In this context it may be well
to remember that even people whose politics and ideology we disagree
with may have valid points (something which sometime back Elst and
Zydenbos seemed to agree on), and also that just because one or
another piece of evidence in favor of one or another hypothesis turns
out to be problematic, this does not necessarily invalidate that
hypothesis.

If we fail to introduce more civility and impartiality we will not
only talk past each other, we will actually be providing aid and
comfort to those we are trying to combat, by creating the appearance
that it's simply one ideologically-based and problematic approach
opposing another one.  As the case of the vituperative verbal (and
physical) battles in pre-Nazi Germany shows, under such circumstances
there is a common tendency for people to favor their own, right-wing
brand of (perceived) extremism, rather than one that can be branded
as "foreign"; and the consequences can be disastrous.

Having gotten this off my chest, I will sit back and return to
observing--and, if the "flavor" of the list's discourse does not
improve, I may have to decide to unsubscribe.

Best wishes,

Hans Henrich Hock

yo asyaadhyakSaH parame vyomantso aNga veda yadi vaa na veda