Info on WArrier

Srini Pichumani srini_pichumani at MENTORG.COM
Fri Sep 29 19:23:16 UTC 2000

vAriyars are one of several castes or groups collectively called
"ambalavaasi".  As this name implies,  they are associated with the temples
and are involved in various activities.  I believe one of the vAriyars'
traditional responsibilities is the collection of flowers,  making garlands
etc.  NambiyArs are another group who are classified as "ambalavaasi" (only by
some ?) -  they have a more prescribed "ritual" role in that only they can
play the mizhavu drum in the temple for KoodiyATTam,  cAkyar kUttu
performances,  and their womenfolk called Nangyars can take on female
character roles in the kUttu performances.  I am not sure if cAkyars,  who are
traditionally the sole custodians of KoodiyATTam,  are also included under the
"ambalavaasi" category.

The vAriyar OS is of the unthreaded variety,  while cAkyar OS is threaded ;-)

-Srini.

ps:  KripAnanda vAriyAr,  in one corpozhivu,  mentioned that he hailed from
the Arcot district (N or S ? Kankeyanallur?) and mentioned that there are
vAriyArs in Kerala... but didn't explicitly say that his group or family was
or was not related to the Kerala vAriyars.