Horseplay in Harappa

Periannan Chandrasekaran perichandra at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 29 04:08:41 UTC 2000

--- Steve Farmer <saf at SAFARMER.COM> wrote:

> The Hindutva polemics in India over the article are already
> getting heated and nasty, as we expected. The upshot is that the
> article is apparently having its effect.

Hope it sobers up  the online newspaper columnist at
http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/sep/22rajeev.htm

"...We must put a lot of effort into deciphering the
Indus-Sarasvati Valley Civilisation's language. My suspicion is
that it will show that there was no 'Aryan' invasion, no
'Dravidian' race: our early civilisation,was possibly the oldest
in the world with the city-site in Mehrgarh, Pakistan going
back to 6000 BCE, earlier than Sumeria, earlier than Babylon,
earlier than Mesopotamia.

I suspect we will find that the Sarasvati language was indeed
both proto-Sanskrit and proto-Tamil, thus demonstrating once
and for all the total and historical cultural unity of Indian
civilisation. No more separate identities: just migrations from
that riverine cradle of civilisation in the Sarasvati flood-plain
to other parts of the Indian subcontinent.

In my opinion, India's classical languages are Sanskrit,
Pali/Prakrit and Tamil. These form the true literatures of the
Indic tradition -- Vedic Hindu, Buddhist/Jaina, and non-Vedic
Hindu. Naturally, the Nehruvian Stalinists were eager to
condemn all three of these as part of their enterprise of
destroying Indic civilisation. ..."