SV: "Buddha" before the Pali Canon?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Tue Sep 19 15:51:54 UTC 2000

The use of the term Maagadha as referring to an inhabitant of Magadha is
at least as old as the Atharvaveda, which predates the consolidation of
Magadhan hegemony.  Thus it is very likely that the dialect of Magadha was
called Maagadhii long before the hegemonic political developments.  This
of course does not prove that the Buddha spoke a dialect which was called
Maagadhii.  Best,
                                        Madhav Deshpande