Henrique Henriques (1520-1600)

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 17 19:23:13 UTC 2000

 >Subject: Henrique Henripues (1520-1600)

 >I'm a student of Sanskrit and Tamil at the University of Pisa; I'm
studying
 >the works of Henrique Henriques, a well-known jesuit, scholar of tamil.
 >Unfortunally it has not been easy to find books, articles and works
 >(manuscripts and printed books) on him and of his;

J. Wicki, Ein vorbildlicher Missionar Indiens, P. Henriques (1520-1600)
Studia missionalia 13 (1963) 113-168

Ulrike Niklas, A system for Tamil literature (Classical,
Post-Classical, Neo-Classical) Based on the Subject
Catalogue of the Janert Koeln library of Tamil texts, 1-2,
1990, p. 611 lists an editition of one his printed works.

"" Henriques, Henrico, 1. Va.nakkam.
Tuuttukku.ti: Tami_z ilakkiyak ka_zakam 1963. 70 pp.
[Prayers by H. Henriques. This was the first book to
be printed in Tami_z, in 1578.] ""

You can get a copy of this book from Cologne university
library. The original is at Harvard university.
a) Georg Schurhammer, S.J. and G. W. Cottrell, Jr.
The first printing in Indic characters,
Harvard library bulletin, VI.2 (Spring 1952) 147-160
b) Xavier Thaninayagam, The First books printed in
Tamil, Tamil Culture (Madras), VII.3, July 1958
p. 288-308.

It will be worthy to reprint Henriques' Tamil grammar
("Arte de Lingua Malabar"), the first European
grammar book on any Indian language.

Regards,
N. Ganesan