gandharva

John Dunne jddunne at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Fri Sep 15 16:55:33 UTC 2000

The Tibetan translation of *gandharva* is *dri za* ("scent eater"). Most
such translations appear to be based upon Buddhist nirukti-s of indic
origin; many of these nirukti-s are preserved in the _sgra sbyor bam po
gnyis pa_. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to check the _sgra sbyor_
to see whether a nirukti for *dri za* is given. In any case, *gandha*
corresponds obviously to *dri*. But to me, at least, it is not obvious how
we are to get "eating/eater" (*za*) from the last one or two syllables of
gandharva. Any suggestions?

Yours,

John Dunne

John D. Dunne