gandharva

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 15 14:21:14 UTC 2000

 Check the archives, may be useful. Sure Sanskritists would have
 collected material and written about gandharvas, the heavenly musicians,
 accompanied by the apsaraas. Khmer temples have sculptures of apsaraas
 and gandharvas.

 South Indian temples have gandhrvas too, for instance, check the
 book encyclopaedia of indian temple architecture, (M. W. Meister),
 the eary phase of soth indian temples. Chalukya temples such as
 Aihole, Pattadakkal have gandharva males flying thru' the air.

 Incidentally, the gandharva angel depictions show that Indians
 lacked the knowledge on the fundamentals of flying.