Sanskrit and PIE

Rajarshi Banerjee rajarshi.banerjee at SMGINC.COM
Thu Sep 7 20:45:10 UTC 2000

These dates fit events in neighbouring countries (Israel etc) better, so if
these revised dates hold good, then the linguistic status of Hittite needs
to be re-examined -- its likely origins then would probably fall nearer to
early Greek.
RB> Would this also shift the chronology of the mitannian treaty and kassite
records. How does this tie in with assyrian babylonian records.
As far as the the identity of IE component of the mitannians is concerned,
it can be conjectured they form a separate branch from IIr and are already
differentiated into IA.
This is also reinforced by the fact that
1) avestan holds the asuras as good people and the devas and indra as
enemies to be vanquished. In contrast a typical vedic line up including
indra are mentioned as witnesses in the hittite-mitannian treaty. In the
indian tradition it is ofcourse the devas who are the heros.
2) the name ashur is a common one for the semetic assyrian rulers which
replaced the kassite, mittanian rule.or maybe itis a coincidence.
If we assume that IE speakers made their way through syria, iran, into
western india we should see some hurrian and other loan words in vedic.
Otherwise we assume that IE speakers reached india first differentiated into
IA and IIr, and then moved west encountering the hurrian language. the IIr a
more westerly branch associated more closely with the asuras.
RB