Sanskrit and PIE

Arlo Griffiths griffithsa at RULLET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Mon Sep 4 15:39:56 UTC 2000

For the Rig-Vedic statistics, cf. the (conservative) count in F.B.J. Kuiper,
"Aryans in the Rigveda" (Amsterdam-Atlanta, 1991), p. 95f.: "One will
therefore be on the safe side when stating that at least 5 per cent of the
Rigvedic lexemes (stricto sensu) is of foreign origin."

In Indo-Iranian Journal 38 (1995), p. 261, Kuiper was able to present a more
exact figure: "We owe it to the computer that it is now known. A Dr.
Alexander Lubotsky kindly informs me, the sum total [of Rigvedic lexemes -
AG] is 100063. The percentage of the foreign  works [sic, read: words]
listed there [in Kuiper 1991] is not, accordingly, ``at least five per
cent'' ..., but 3.8 per cent. If only `words sensu stricto' were counted (As
in Aryans, p. 95), the percentage might be well over 4 per cent."

As far as I know, no figures are known for post-RV texts, but they will
doubtless be considerably higher than the figure for the RV.

-- Arlo Griffiths

CNWS / Instituut Kern
Universiteit Leiden
Postbus 9515