neo-Orientalism (ii)

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at GMX.LI
Tue Oct 31 12:55:03 UTC 2000

I was waiting for this. :-)

Am 31 Oct 2000, um 10:00 schrieb nanda chandran:

> RZ writes :
>
> >Firstly, I do not think it is basically wrong to be a liberal
> >humanist (it is unclear from LS' post what he thinks about this)
>
> Wow! You know how to wear some traditional Indian dress, but for
> all your scholarship and knowledge of India, you still cannot
> distinguish between masculine and feminine names!

I suggest that you write to Lakshmi Srinivas and ask him whether
he is a woman (I must admit that I too would have preferred to see
his name written as Lakshmisrinivas, but that is the way it is).

So much for your self-proclaimed Indian expertise on India. Further
comment seems unnecessary.

> Maybe you don't realize or intend it, but the fact is - you come
> across as a Hindu baiter!

No, at times I only bait the arrogant, malicious and pretentious
(Hindu or otherwise) and enjoy seeing them make fools of
themselves.

For instance: I was waiting for somebody to take Lakshmi Srinivas'
name and try to make fun of me. I am sooo happy that it was you
<grin>.

RZ