Date of the Veda

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 25 17:39:31 UTC 2000

Writing about S. Farmer, S. Vidyasankar noted:
 >your methodology of making invalid general
 >inferences, does not imply that he is a fascist, or even that
 >he buys into other ill-formed theories about the date of the
 >Rgveda.

After reading about Iron age in India from Possehl's article
(reference given by G. Thompson, I think), Farmer wrote:
"Chronologies re the first use of iron in Anatolia, in different
areas of India (and regional variations are *critical*) are
wholly independent of Egyptian and Assyrian chronologies. Same
for Central Asia and China. Even the use of terms like "Iron Age"
is, for good reasons, being widely challenged by people in the
field. In India - and this has deep implications for dating of
the RV and later Vedic literature - the dates have been pushed
well into the first millennium. For recent overviews and
extensive bibliography, see the studies in Vincent C. Pigott,
_The Archaeometallurgy of the Asian Old World_ (University
Museum, University of Pennsylvania, 1999)."

Prof. Witzel usually dates the Rigveda to 1200 BCE based on the
fact that iron in India is creeping upward chronologically, and
the RV is pre-iron. But if the dates for iron are pushed
"well into the first millennium", 1200 BCE date sounds
too conservative. Is your take on the date of the RV very
different from these?

> From another thread, S. Vidyasankar noted about an Indologist:

>If you know of a Westerner
>who so much as views some of these things sympathetically, he
>is clearly "New Age" and not "mainstream", even if he is a
>retired professor from a Canadian university, even if his works
>have been published by an American university press with a South
>Asia specialization, and even if he has published in standard
>journals.

Again:
>When I see a professor emeritus
>from the University of Manitoba described as not "mainstream", I
>wonder if Prof. Witzel's idea of the main stream is a very narrow
>stream after all.

Does this refer to Klaus Klostermaier? If so, he concurs
with N. Rajaram's "new" chronology. Not the mainstream
Indologists view. In a Hindutva critique on the AIT,
Klostermaier's chronolgy is given.
http://www.atributetohinduism.com/aryan_invasion_theory.htm

<<<
Questioning the Aryan Invasion Theory and Revising Ancient Indian History
By Klaus Klostermaier
http://www.icj.iskcon.net/6_1klostermaier.htm
A more detailed 'New Chronology' of Ancient India, locating names of kings
and tribes
mentioned in the Vedas and Puranas, according to Rajarama9 looks somewhat
like
     this:

     4500 BCE: Mandhatri's victory over the Drohyus, alluded to in the
Puranas.
     4000 BCE Rigveda (excepting books 1 and 10)
     3700 BCE Battle of Ten Kings (referred to in the Rigveda) Beginning of
Puranic
     dynastic lists: Agastya, the messenger of Vedic religion in the Dravida
country.
     Vasistha, his younger brother, author of Vedic works. Rama and
Ramayana.
     3600 BCE Yajur-, Sama-, Atharvaveda: Completion of Vedic Canon.
     3100 BCE Age of Krishna and Vyasa. Mahabharata War. Early Mahabharata.
     3000 BCE Shatapathabrahmana, Shulvasutras, Yajnavalkyasutra, Panini,
author of
     the Ashtadhyayi, Yaska, author of the Nirukta.
     2900 BCE Rise of the civilisations of Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia and
the
     Indus-Sarasvati doab.
     2200 BCE beginning of large-scale drought: decline of Harappa.
     2000 BCE End of Vedic age.
     1900 BCE Saraswati completely dried out: end of Harappa.

     Texts like the Rigveda, the Shatapathabrahmana and others contain