"Science" in India

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sun Oct 22 08:39:18 UTC 2000

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Venkatraman Iyer wrote:

> Not just Indian Scientists. Even the Western Indologists.
> I have seen none crusading other than Dr. Witzel, a lone exception

This is an interesting point, and I think the answer may be disappointing
to some on this list.

The fact is that the Invasion/Out of India debate is not of interest to
most professional indologists.  It is not a controversial matter amongst
professionals actually working, teaching, and writing at the university
level in the field.  It is a complete non-issue, and most indologists have
far more important and interesting things to do.

That Witzel is willing to engage with public opinion on this point is a
reflection of two things: he is the current world expert on Vedic life and
society, and he has the energy and willingness to talk to a wider cirle of
people than his professional peers.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.