THE ENGINEERS AND THE INDOLOGY GROUP

Fri Oct 20 05:07:49 UTC 2000

>to be ascertained by the knowledge of other fields . For example, the date
>of the Mahabharata . The knowledge of astronomy was one way to estimate

However, knowledge of astronomy has to be supplemented by a keen
understanding of different temporal layers in the MBh, varying
readings in different sources of manuscripts, errors in transmission,
etc., things which the textual scholars know well. The two groups
can work together, if only they could put aside their prejudices
about each other. If people want to say, "I'm prejudiced, and I'm
proud of it", there can be no common ground.

Vidyasankar